Ten essential objectives
- The team will operate on the correct patient at the correct site.
- The team will use methods known to prevent harm from anesthetic administration, while protecting the patient from pain.
- The team will recognize and effectively prepare for life-threatening loss of airway or respiratory function.
- The team will recognize and effectively prepare for risk of high blood loss.
- The team will avoid inducing any allergic or adverse drug reaction known to be a significant risk for the patient.
- The team will consistently use methods known to minimize risk of surgical site infection.
- The team will prevent inadvertent retention of instruments or sponges in surgical wounds.
- The team will secure and accurately identify all surgical specimens.
- The team will effectively communicate and exchange critical patient information for the safe conduct of the operation.
- Hospitals and public health systems will establish routine surveillance of surgical capacity, volume, and results.